New York City Luxury Condos
- All Regions
- Upper East Side
- Upper West Side
- Financial District/BPC
1 Central Park South, between 58th Street & Central Park South | Midtown West View on Map
Sporting one of the most famous names in the city, the Plaza has two addresses, 768 Fifth Avenue and 1 Central Park South.
The Plaza features 181 apartments facing to the north and east and hotel rooms facing south. Residences are equipped with high ceilings, period moldings and mantelpieces. Kitchens contain stone countertops and mosaic marble-tiled backsplashes.
Residents have access to the hotel’s notable restaurants – including the famous Palm Court – as well as its Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa, the Warren-Tricomi Salon and a La Palestra fitness center. Additionally, the Plaza offers such amenities as a 24-hour concierge and doorman, nanny service, limousine service, turn-down service and a private butler.
The Plaza is located close to some of the best shopping and nightlife in New York City, as well as public transportation.
1 Central Park West, between West 60th Street & West 61st Street | Central Park West View on Map
Trump International Hotel and Tower at 1 Central Park West is one of the most successful developments in Donald Trump’s portfolio.
After securing its acquisition, Trump oversaw a comprehensive renovation, staging a reopening in 1997. A world-class hotel occupies the lower 22 floors of the 44-story Trump International, while private residences in the upper floors feature floor-to-ceiling windows, 10-foot ceilings, walk-in closets, hardwood floors, marble baths and modern kitchens.
In addition, residents of the Trump International’s 166 apartments enjoy access to all of the hotel’s room, concierge and valet services, as well as its gym, spa and pool; they can also order food from the world-renowned, Michelin Guide 3-star Jean-Georges restaurant located just off the hotel lobby.
Its convenient location is in Central Park West across from Columbus Circle and a number of public transportation options. It is also close to the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
400 West 12th Street, between West Street & Washington Street | West Village View on Map
The Superior Ink development in the West Village is a large project that combines a tall building facing the Hudson River and low-rise buildings on the rest of the block.
Its massing is somewhat similar to another waterfront project completed a few years earlier several blocks to the south, Morton Square.
This one was developed by the Related Companies and was completed in 2008.
This development has a 17-story tower with 62 apartments on West Street with two setbacks and 7 townhouses on Bethune Street.
Between Lafayette Street & Bowery | NoHo View on Map
The refined building in a bluestone suit at 41 Bond Street in NoHo is the latest addition to one of the city’s most spectacular blocks.
While its "pin-stripes" are horizontal rather than vertical, this very elegant building sedately, and very nicely, fills a gap on this cobblestone block that was already noted for its architectural distinctiveness.
Although brownstone has long been the relatively fragile façade of choice for much of the city's townhouse inventory, this 9-story building's bluestone may appeal to the city's well-to-do blue-bloods of financial wizardry.
The 7-unit building was developed in 2010 by DDG Partners, which took over the project in 2009 from Adam Gordon, the owner of 54 Bond Street, and it was designed by DDG Design.
2150 Broadway, between West 75th Street & West 76th Street | Broadway Corridor View on Map
Situated at the southeast corner of Broadway and West 76th Street, the Laureate at 2150 Broadway is located on the Upper West Side and opened in 2010.
Residences boast varied layouts and feature entry foyers, walnut flooring, premium appliances, washers and dryers and 10-foot ceilings; some apartments have balconies overlooking Broadway. Upper-floor units have expansive views of the surrounding cityscape.
Residents have access to a 24-hour doorman and concierge, a full-service garage, a children’s playroom and a fitness center. Public transportation is located nearby, as are many restaurants and shops.
Between Hudson Street & Varick Street | Tribeca View on Map
One of the city's most handsome Romanesque-Revival-style buildings, this structure was erected in 1887 and designed by Albert Wagner, who was also the architect of the famous Puck Building on Lafayette Street at Houston Street.
It is distinguished by its very lively façades that feature balustraded rooflines, large arched windows on the fifth floor and small arched windows on the third and fifth floors, and strong rustication on the first floor that has very wide windows in contrast with the very narrow windows on the top floor. Windows are inset on the richly modulated façades and the corner is highlighted by a protruding element on the top floor that is a particularly nice and interesting design touch.
Sanba International Inc., of which Aldo Andreoli, an architect, is the principal, renovated the building and converted it into 14 condominium apartments.
The street is cobblestoned and there is a subway station at the corner.
The cream-colored-brick building has a doorman and a superintendent. It was originally erected for the Walton Company, a manufacturer of wrapping papers.
This building is not far from several of TriBeCa's most important landmarks such as the former New York Mercantile Exchange Building of 1884 at 6 Harrison Street that was converted to condominiums in 1987, the great Art-Deco-style Western Union Building at 60 Hudson Street between Thomas and Worth Streets, and the fine Art-Deco-style A. T. & T. Long Lines Building of 1918 at 32 Sixth Avenue between Walker and Lispenard Streets.
This building is also very convenient to City Hall and Battery Park City as well as many restaurants and shops.
Between Broome Street & Grand Street | SoHo View on Map
40 Mercer Street was designed by “starchitect” Jean Nouvel.
Located in SoHo, it stretches from Mercer to Broadway along Grand Street and contains apartments that feature high ceilings – ranging between 11 and 12 feet – premium appliances, expansive spaces and well-appointed bathrooms.
40 Mercer Street’s glass exterior and deep blue top distinguish it from nearby buildings. Residents have access to such amenities as a 24-hour doorman and concierge, a garage with valet parking, private storage, a landscaped rooftop and an M40 club whose use is restricted to residents.
It is near restaurants and boutiques in the surrounding neighborhood and is also convenient to public transportation.
721 Fifth Avenue At The Northeast corner of East 56th Street | Midtown East View on Map
The Trump Tower at 721 Fifth Avenue is a glass tower located between 56th and 57th Streets.
Developed by Donald Trump, 721 Fifth Avenue sports a distinctive design that creates many corner windows with breathtaking views. Residential condominiums are located on the highest 38 floors of this 58-story tower and include nine duplex and triplex penthouses on the top nine floors. Many of the Trump Tower apartments have been renovated and feature marble bathrooms, Jacuzzi bathtubs, wood and stone floors, custom kitchen cabinets, state-of-the-art appliances, numerous walk-in closets and washer and dryers. The building’s spacious condos also offer panoramic views of the New York City skyline, Central Park and the rivers.
Amenities include a full-time doorman, valet, a fitness room, maid service and a common storage room.
Such retailers as Bergdorf Goodman and Tiffany's are nearby, as are well-known restaurants. Central Park and the Plaza Hotel are two blocks away and the area is convenient to most public transportation.
610 Park Avenue, between East 64th Street & East 65th Street | Park/Fifth Ave. to 79th St. View on Map
Built in 1925 and designed by J. E. R. Carpenter, the leading luxury apartment architect of his generation, this handsome building was originally the Mayfair House, a pleasant, 450-room hotel, but it gained considerably more cachet when Le Cirque restaurant opened on its first floor sidestreet frontage in 1974 and quickly became one of the city's most socially prestigious dining rooms.
A generation later, however, Le Cirque decided to relocate to the Villard Houses that are part of the New York Palace Hotel at 451 Madison Avenue in 1997 and the next year the building was bought at a bankruptcy auction for $15 million and Park 65th Associates L.P., an affiliate of Colony Capital Inc., a real estate investment group based in Los Angeles that had recently also taken over the Stanhope Hotel on Fifth Avenue and has been active in luxury resort properties, and the Trump Organization, headed by Donald Trump.
The new owners renovated the property for another $55 million to convert it into 70 condominium apartments. At the time of the conversion the hotel had had 210 hotel rooms.
A large entrance marquee on the sidestreet had been created in 1934 for a restaurant, but over the years it had become the hotel's entrance and Le Cirque had an adjacent, discrete entrance. The 1998 renovation, however, used the marquee sidestreet entrance for the building's new restaurant Daniel, which was considerably larger and much grander than Le Cirque, and it quickly became one of the city's top restaurants. A new entrance to the apartment building was created on the avenue frontage.
Le Cirque would subsequently relocate from the Villard Houses to One Beacon Court.
Carpenter was also a co-developer of the building, which for a while in the 1980s had been acquired by the Hong Kong-based Regent International Hotels chain.
The new condominium project got off to a flying start and began selling units based only on floorplans. Early prospective buyers were not even allowed to enter the building and there were no model apartments and within a few months, the sales campaign had sold all but three of the apartments that ranged in price from about $700,000 to more than $7 million for units that ranged in size from 986 to 4,400 square feet.
The combination of an elegant but older exterior with lavish new interiors was a strong selling point as was the fact, for some buyers probably, that the tenant mix was likely to have a narrower range of income groups compared with the typical pre-war residential property whose owners have moved in at different times as apartments are offered for resale.
Given its excellent location and the fact Le Cirque was being replaced with another famous restaurant, Daniel Boulud's Restaurant Daniel, which offered catering service to the residents, and that the apartment layouts were designed by Costas Kondylis & Associates, P.C., and the common interiors by Mac II, it was not too surprising that the conversion was successful.
The apartments have coffered, 9-foot-high ceilings, seven-inch-high base moldings and many have fireplaces, libraries and living rooms as large as 20 feet square. The building has a fitness center, maid service and valet parking.
A far more architecturally stunning "Mayfair" apartment building was built in 1908 at 471 Park Avenue. Designed by Charles Buckham, it featured duplex apartments and was notable for its large double-height, arched windows.
The exterior of this building is a stereotyped Park Avenue apartment house but the elegant sidestreet marquee and the grandness of Restaurant Daniel make it a very choice building in a very choice neighborhood, not far from midtown and close to Madison Avenue's many boutiques and art galleries.
The brown-brick building has a three-story limestone base, a doorman, a health club, sidewalk landscaping and basement storage, but no balconies, no garage and no roof deck.
Between East 71st Street & East 72nd Street | Park/Fifth Ave. to 79th St. View on Map
This very handsome, 20-story apartment building at 737 Park Avenue on the northeast corner at 71st Street was designed in 1940 by Sylvan Bien for Samuel Minskoff.
It was converted to a condominium by Harry Macklowe in 2014 and has 60 apartments. It originally had more than 100 apartments.
Handel Architects and Moed de Armas & Shannon Architects did the conversion.
500 Park Avenue, between East 58th Street & East 59th Street | Midtown East View on Map
This 1984 condominium apartment tower is one of the finest post-war designs in the city and the winner of a national award for its architect, James Stewart Polshek, from the American Institute of Architects.
Its clean-cut, modern lines, incised windows and asymmetrical massing have been highly influential, and the building is a rare example of a contextual design that complements a modern landmark, the short office building at 500 Park Avenue on the southeast corner at 59th Street.
The small, elegant, aluminum-and-glass building was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill as the headquarters in 1960 for Pepsico that subsequently became known as the Olivetti Building, and then the Amro Bank Building.
The 16 lower floors of the 40-story tower contain office space, an advantage to the residents in this multi-use building, as it removes them further from the heavy traffic on 59th Street.
The architectural firm of Schuman, Lichtenstein, Claman & Efron also worked on the design for Charles and Randall Atkins, who had offices in the small office building, and eventually sold their interest in the planned tower to Tishman Speyer Properties and the Equitable Life Assurance Society of the United States.
In an August 16, 1984 New York Times column, Paul Goldberger observed that "The brooding, dark-gray granite of the office floors at the base is handsome in a cold and official sort of way, but this strongly undomestic imagery is the building's only major failing."
"And," he continued, "perhaps it is justified by the larger purpose it serves - for the granite, used in tandem with a glass and aluminum skin, creates a dignified backdrop to Skidmore's delicate modern box. At the same time, the glass and aluminum sections of the new tower act as a counterpoint to the older structure, making the overall design a subtle balancing act of foreground and background, of solid and void, of texture and flatness. Indeed, this is among midtown's best new towers, residential or commercial. And the apartments within are generally excellent, with nine-foot, two-inch ceilings, handsome windowed kitchens complete with Sub-Zero refrigerators and windowed baths. With its sprawling entrance gallery, an expansive A unit high in the tower could almost be a 1920's apartment sleekly renovated - until you see the wraparound windows of the living room."
The subtlety of Polshek's design is in his brilliant massing and façade treatment and overall proportions.
The tower's façade has a distinctly split personality with a silvery aluminum bay that runs up its east side to complement the low-rise office building, and the strongly delineated "matte" façade with incised windows on the other façades. The building, which is a masterpiece, has a stunning lobby.
Polshek maintained in "James Stewart Polshek Context and Responsibility," (Rizzoli International Publications, 1988), that the "tower was conceived as a singular piece of architecture in its own right but also as a building that would be a backdrop for the elegant integrity of the existing building. The tower also had the urban design function of clearly indicating the east-west boundary between commercial Park Avenue to the south and residential Park Avenue to the north. The parti involved the creating of a granite shaft perforated by deeply set windows. From this stone tower unfolded an aluminum and glass envelope whose twenty-four stories of residences cantilevered twenty-five feet over the existing building."
The new metal skin was derived from the existing building, but energy laws and technical constraints regarding the sizes of glass and available aluminum alloys required a reinterpretation of the original envelope, the objective being to retain the proportional subtleties and flush surface characteristics that had always distinguished the building.
In their book, "New York 2000, Architecture and Urbanism Between The Bicentennial And The Millennium," Robert A. M. Stern, David Fishman and Jacob Tilove said that "Polshek's building could be seen as one of the city's architectural success stories of the 1980s, involving historic preservation - of a Modernist building ten years too young for designation by the Landmarks Preservation Commission - and new construction of a mixed-use skyscraper of exceptional suavity."
"Described rather improbably by Ada Louise Huxtable as a 'kind of Pazzi Chapel of corporate design,' Pepsi-Cola was designed by Gordon Bunshaft," the authors continued, adding that "When it was completed, Pepsi joined Lever House lower down on Park Avenue, Manufacturers Trust Company on Fifth Avenue and Forty-third Street, the Chase Bank in the financial district - all designed by Bunshaft for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill - and Mies van der Rohe's Seagram Building to form the greatest concentration in one city of artistically exceptional commercial Modernism."
When Olivetti decided to leave the building, studies were made to redevelop the site along with the adjacent Nassau Hotel at 56-60 East 59th Street that was built in 1897 as the Hotel Roland and designed by F. W. Fisher. The Kalikow real estate organization acquired the combined site but soon resold it to the Securities Groups, which was headed by Charles and Randall Atkins. Securities Group commissioned Polshek to design new offices for it on the 10th and 11th floors of the Pepsi building and then Polshek was commissioned by the Amsterdam Rotterdam Bank (AMRO) to redesign the retail spaces in the building.
The Atkinses then commissioned Polshek to design the adjacent tower that would cantilever 25 feet over the rear of the Pepsi building. "If a specific source for the design were to be identified, it would be that of the PSFC Building (1932) in Philadelphia, designed by George Howe and William Lescaze," noted Stern, Mellins and Fishman, who added that "approval of the plan was held up by the City Planning Commission's study of midtown zoning, and by 1981, when the Atkinses found themselves in deep financial trouble, the Securities Groups sold the property to the Equitable Life Assurance Society, which entered into a joint partnership with Tishman Speyer Properties to develop the project according to Polshek's plans."
"When Ada Louise Huxtable reviewed models and drawings for the scheme in May 1981, she called it 'one of the most skillful 'shoehorning' jobs, involving an unusual and uncommon, sensibility to considerations of style and scale," the authors continued.
33 West 56th Street, between Fifth Avenue & Sixth Avenue | Midtown West View on Map
Located at 33 West 56th Street just off Fifth Avenue, the Centurion opened in 2009.
Pritzker Prize-winning architect I.M. Pei and his son, Sandi Pei, designed the Centurion to incorporate a wide variety of floor plans among its 48 condominium units, with ceilings measuring from 10 to 17 feet and layouts ranging from one to four bedrooms. Three are configured as penthouses, while 13 apartments have terraces. What they all share are exquisitely designed interiors with oversized, tinted and sound-insulated windows and teak floors. Kitchens feature custom cabinets with clear glass countertops and modern appliances; spacious master bathrooms have dual sinks, soaking tubs and separate shower stalls.
Shared amenities at the Centurion include a water garden with reflecting pool, a 1,500-square-foot exercise center, an on-premise garage and hotel-style concierge service.
230 West 56th Street At The Southwest corner of Broadway | Midtown West View on Map
Located at 230 West 56th Street, the Park Imperial contains the headquarters of the publishing company Random House on its lower floors and 101 apartments beginning on the 48th floor.
Residences are distinguished by their large windows that offer exceptional views of Manhattan, the Hudson River and Central Park. Apartments also feature ebony-stained mahogany floors, 10-foot-high ceilings and marble bathrooms, among other modern touches.
Amenities in the pet-friendly Park Imperial include a 24-hour doorman, a full-service garage, a health club and a private residents’ lounge. Residents also have access to the Imperial Club on the 47th floor, which boasts state-of-the-art fitness and business centers. The Park Imperial is close to Central Park, Columbus Circle and the Theater District.
502 Park Avenue, between East 59th Street & East 60th Street | Park/Fifth Ave. to 79th St. View on Map
Located at the corner of 59th Street at 502 Park Avenue, Trump Park Avenue is steps away from Central Park.
502 Park Avenue was erected in 1929, although an extensive remodeling and renovation project was completed in 2005. It contains 120 residences, including one- and seven-bedroom units. Kitchens and master bathrooms are equipped with top-of-the-line appliances and fixtures, while layouts are generous and varied.
In keeping with its namesake’s commitment to luxury living, Trump Park Avenue amenities are impressive and include a 24-hour doorman and concierge, valet and laundry service, daily maid service and a fitness center. It is convenient to Madison Avenue's many shops, countless restaurants and public transportation.
At The Northeast corner of East 60th street | Park/Fifth Ave. to 79th St. View on Map
This impressive 12-story apartment house at 521 Park Avenue on the northeast corner at 61st Street was designed by William Alciprhon Boring and completed in 1911 two years after he had designed 540 Park Avenue on the northwest corner at 61st Street, which has been described, according to James Trager, the author of Park Avenue, Street of Dreams," (Atheneum, 1990), as "the first of the high-class apartments to be built on Park Avenue."
This building was erected as a co-operative and has 27 apartments and was converted to a condominium in 1987.